Sport Sambo is like Judo, only it includes Leg Lock techniques and can be see in amateur contests. And Freestyle Sambo is an Americanized form of Sambo that includes Choke Holds and some submissions that are not allowed in Sport Sambo. Sambo includes Submissions, a mixture of wrestling type ground work, Judo type throws, and Ju Jitsu grappling. Also has striking techniques from various other Marital Arts and Boxing. Other types of Sambo: Combat Sambo (MMA Like), Special Sambo, and Self-defense Sambo.
Note: Note: If interested in Sambo it is important to read the history of Sambo. There are plenty of online and hardcopy references for the history of Sambo.
Recommend checking out any school that emphasizes Combat Sambo. However, Sport or Freestyle Sambo should be a good starting point.
Current Popular Fighter: MMA and Sambo is of course, Fedor Emelianenko.
Techniques Most Utilized in Full Contact Sanctioned Fighting Sports
Sambo does utilize their opponent uniform Sleeve or Collar. However, it is not relegated to using their opponents uniform or clothing to execute its techniques.
Traditional Sambo contest like Ju Jitsu or Judo does use the opponents uniform in initiating certain techniques.
- Leg Locks: Variety of types and is a staple of Sambo.
- Heel Hooks: used in Sambo, generally, if you can not get a good Leg Lock switch to a Heel Hook.
- Throws: Variety of throws similar to Judo, but generally transitioning into a Leg Lock.
- Arm bars: Generally used in the grappling aspects of Sambo. Similar to Ju Jitsu. Has a very nice, Flying Arm bar.
- Knee bars: Similar techniques seen in other fighting styles. Sambo has excellent transitions from one technique to another, very fluid when executed in correct manner.
- Knee Crush: Technique worthy of learning if unable to get a full Leg Lock on opponent. Or an alternative to Leg Lock.
- Scissor Take-Down: Recommend learning.
- Open-Hand Strikes: Generally used when you have control of one of your opponents arms and than striking opponent to face leading in to some kind of Take down.
- Knee Strikes: Similar to Muay Thai Knee Strikes.
- Other Submissions: That are similar to Ju Jitsu.
Sambo Techniques would complement the following fighting styles: Boxers, Karate, TKD, Kickboxing, or Muay Thai.